Denise's NeedleWorks
Name:
Location: Ames, Iowa, United States

I am wife to Jeff, homeschool mom to 8, a knit and crochet teacher and totally addicted to knitting, crocheting and other fiber arts. After knitting, crocheting and sewing my own clothing from the age of 10 on, I studied textiles & clothing in college. That lead me to 25 years of custom dressmaking and alterations work, while sewing, knitting and crocheting for my growing children. I have worked in the yarn industry for the past 3 years and have been designing my own knitting patterns. Visit my web site at http://www.denisesneedleworks.com Find me as DeniseInIowa on Ravelry.com

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Lots of new knitting and some old

My sewing class with the homeschool kids went well today. They will all be sewing like pros before we are done!LOL Well, I think they enjoyed themselves at least.

My crochet class was a no-go tonight because of lack of sign ups. I hope things pick up soon. I really enjoy teaching the classes.


I have added more new projects to my ever expanding list of things to do. But I have also finished a couple of things. I made a hat for our youth fundraiser over the weekend. I forgot to take a photo of that. I got the knitting done on the Pelerine. Just need to get the ends woven in and then I can get a better picture of it. I also finished the Monthly Dishcloth September KAL. It is an Oak leaf cloth, in case you can't tell from the picture.

A sweet, elderly lady from church asked me if I would be able to finish a sweater for her to give to a grandchild. How could I say no?

This sweater has some history. She bought it at a garage sale, partially knit and finished the body of it but she was not sure she could do the cable down the sleeves. The stitches were all on holders so it is just a matter of putting them on needles and continuing on with the instructions.

I remember having some patterns like this one when I was in high school. They were often advertized in the newspaper and you had to send a letter and money to get them.

I noticed that the sweater has some blue spots where the ink of the pattern has bled onto it. The yarn is from Montgomery Wards, 50%wool/50%nylon. Is there any way to get that out?


I stopped in at the Rose Tree Fiber Shop yesterday, where I teach, to find out about class sign ups and look for some new class project ideas. The owner, Rosemary, and I came up with a good one I hope. I brought home yarn to make one of the stockings from Christmas Stockings: 18 Holiday Treasures to Knit by Interweave Press. This is the start of the Snowy Night Gansey Stocking. I already have more than this photo shows knit. It is going really quickly. This one will go to my youngest who doesn't have a special "mom made" stocking yet at the tender age of 4. Oops, I may have to make another. I just remembered that his 9 yo sister doesn't have one either! Being the youngest of 8 can have its disadvantages as well as advantages.


I got this just for fun. Elespeth Lavold Hempathy yarn. I had seen these washcloths in Knitter's Stash. The linen yarn it calls for is the same weight as the Hempathy. It is such soft yarn that it should make a wonderful washcloth.


Well I better take my cold off to get some rest. Hope you enjoy! Happy Knitting and Crocheting!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Okay, you have so many projects going that MY head is spinning! They all look very nice, though. And I love your new logo! Isn't it great to have talented children?!

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home