Denise's NeedleWorks
Name:
Location: Ames, Iowa, United States

I am wife to Jeff, homeschool mom to 8, a knit and crochet teacher and totally addicted to knitting, crocheting and other fiber arts. After knitting, crocheting and sewing my own clothing from the age of 10 on, I studied textiles & clothing in college. That lead me to 25 years of custom dressmaking and alterations work, while sewing, knitting and crocheting for my growing children. I have worked in the yarn industry for the past 3 years and have been designing my own knitting patterns. Visit my web site at http://www.denisesneedleworks.com Find me as DeniseInIowa on Ravelry.com

Sunday, January 08, 2012

Baby knitting!

As soon as I found out that we had a grandbaby on the way I was looking for baby projects to knit for her. Baby items are small and quick to make so I made quite a few before this little one arrived!  Nothing like a first time grandma who loves to knit right? I decided it was about time I shared some of what I made.

Because my daughter and her husband had decided not to find out the sex of the baby ahead of time, I tried to make some things that were gender neutral. My daughter loves color so the first sweater that I made was multicolored.

This is a basic top-down raglan cardigan pattern from an old pattern card that I found at my local yarn shop.  The yarn was a DK weight. I love how the stripes worked out on this.  I even found buttons in several of the colors.  Isn't it cute!

I finished that sweater in May then I had the opportunity in June to test knit a new pattern for a designer. The Simply Stripy Baby Sweater was made from two sock yarns that I had in my stash.  One was solid purple Cascade Heritage, the other was a long striping yarn called Mini Mochi from Crystal Palace Yarns.  I made a simple hat to go with the sweater and there are tiny socks too!


 
  The pattern for this sweater is available here.  It includes options for short or long sleeve sweaters, a onesie or a dress with sizes up to 24 months.  Now that I know we have a girl I may have to make the dress!

She seems to have found it to be quite cozy.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Indigo said...

Very cute knitting and a very cute baby. Congrats Grandma!

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home