Denise's NeedleWorks
Name:
Location: Ames, Iowa, United States

I am wife to Jeff, homeschool mom to 8, a knit and crochet teacher and totally addicted to knitting, crocheting and other fiber arts. After knitting, crocheting and sewing my own clothing from the age of 10 on, I studied textiles & clothing in college. That lead me to 25 years of custom dressmaking and alterations work, while sewing, knitting and crocheting for my growing children. I have worked in the yarn industry for the past 3 years and have been designing my own knitting patterns. Visit my web site at http://www.denisesneedleworks.com Find me as DeniseInIowa on Ravelry.com

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I just can't count!

This was my purse project so I had my little yellow tag with the basic information that I needed to make the second sock. The tag said to knit 16 rows of ribbing and 52 rows stockinette for the leg then start the heel flap.

Okay, I did that. Except when I had a chance to compare the socks the leg of the second one was about and inch longer than the first one! What did I do? I thought I had counted right.

Oh well, I am the only one who will notice so on I went. Turn the heel, knit the foot 65 rows...uh, oh....not much yarn left. Will I make it? Shape the toe and graft! Yea! It's done! Just enough yarn.

Out comes the first sock again so I can wash and block. But something doesn't look right here. Why is the second one shorter in the foot?

I pulled out the yellow tag again. Hmmm, there seems to be a note here at the bottom. (I used the same yellow tag for a previous pair of socks and made notes of the changes for this pair... I think.) The note says, "denim stripe foot-75 rows." Oh dear, it really is shorter!

Now, this yarn is machine wash and dry which I love and I know that it does shrink so I always make the socks about 1/2 inch longer because of that. I have had to take out the toe on another pair that became unwearable. So, I tried it on...nope, this is not going to work.

I don't have enough yarn to simply knit it longer so with the foot too short and the leg too long I had no choice but to frog it back to the leg. If I make the leg shorter I should have enough yarn to make the foot longer. Right?

When I was frogging I started counting again. I counted 52 rows on the leg again and held it against the first sock...too long. So I counted the rows on the first sock. Oops, there were 42 rows on that one...I didn't even count that right!

I think I will ask my 5 year old to count it for me next time! It might come out better.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Hey, Denise! You make socks like I do!! LOL. Sometimes the simpler the sock pattern, the more mistakes I make. Probably because I'm not paying as much attention.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Carol & Christine said...

LMBO!

Thanks for the laugh. It just proves your human and a mom. Too many things going on, not enough time and a simple pattern... just doesnt mix everytime. Better luck this time around.

:oP

10:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oops! we have all done it! Great colourway anyway.

12:55 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Oh...how annoying!! It's like the never-ending sock puzzle!

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home