Denise's NeedleWorks
Name:
Location: Ames, Iowa, United States

I am wife to Jeff, homeschool mom to 8, a knit and crochet teacher and totally addicted to knitting, crocheting and other fiber arts. After knitting, crocheting and sewing my own clothing from the age of 10 on, I studied textiles & clothing in college. That lead me to 25 years of custom dressmaking and alterations work, while sewing, knitting and crocheting for my growing children. I have worked in the yarn industry for the past 3 years and have been designing my own knitting patterns. Visit my web site at http://www.denisesneedleworks.com Find me as DeniseInIowa on Ravelry.com

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Triangular Prayer Shawl finished

This shawl turned out so well that I would love to have one for myself!

When I started it I went through my stash and found that I had one skein of several different colors but not enough to make an entire shawl from. Stripes seemed rather boring so I decided to try a triangular shawl worked from the top down. I love the way the stripes bend!

I started with the multi-colored yarn that is at the top and chose colors that were in that yarn for the solid sections. As I worked I was afraid that it wouldn't be generous enough so I added another multi that had some of the same colors and some different ones. The color repeat on that one were so long that I got the purples on one side and greens on the other. Very interesting effect. It is nice to see how well the colors all went together.

It is definitely generous though! Toward the end I needed two long circular needles to knit it. One for each half of the triangle. It was a lot of stitches to bind off! No, I didn't count!

The front corners hang about 8 inches below my finger tips and the back comes half-way to my knees. It measures 43 inches from neck to point and has an 88 inch wingspan. It will be so nice for someone to wrap themselves in!


Added note about pattern: This shawl is inspired by the Simple Triangular Shawl by Janice Farrell Pea. I enjoyed the way the bands of different yarns looked in hers. The method for making it is a basic that you will find in many books and patterns. You start with 3 stitches at the center of the neckline and increase one stitch at each side and two in the center on every other row.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Joan said...

It's beautiful. I love the colors. Great job. What pattern did you use?

1:05 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I love it! It looks so cozy and warm!

6:27 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Thanks Joan and Jenni! I added a note about the pattern to the blog entry.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Joan said...

Thanks for the link Denise. Another great way to use up three expandable hampers of leftovers. I had divided my yarns by color and weight.

So much enabling. I should live long enough!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Love those bend-y stripes!
Pretty shawl!

6:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This turned out beautiful. I love your choice of colors. Thanks for posting the link on the Yahoo prayer shawl group. MJ in MN

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for using my pattern and for acknowledging it! I've made dozens of these over the years and am now teaching a class in color theory and combining yarns at my LYS.

Janice Pea

11:41 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Janice that sounds like a great class! I really enjoyed the pattern and plan to use it again. I would like to try some combinations of yarn types as well as colors. It is such a fun way to use up the stash!

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home