Denise's NeedleWorks
Name:
Location: Ames, Iowa, United States

I am wife to Jeff, homeschool mom to 8, a knit and crochet teacher and totally addicted to knitting, crocheting and other fiber arts. After knitting, crocheting and sewing my own clothing from the age of 10 on, I studied textiles & clothing in college. That lead me to 25 years of custom dressmaking and alterations work, while sewing, knitting and crocheting for my growing children. I have worked in the yarn industry for the past 3 years and have been designing my own knitting patterns. Visit my web site at http://www.denisesneedleworks.com Find me as DeniseInIowa on Ravelry.com

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Blue and White Baby Surprise

This BSJ is a long time coming but isn't it pretty? After knitting the light blue for what seemed like forever I decided that it was a little boring looking...well, maybe a lot boring...so I added the white and I love the way it came out!

It is made of Hobby Lobby's Baby Bee Sweet Delight Twist in bare blue, 85% Acrylic/15% Polyamide. The label claims it is bulky weight but it seems more like a heavy worsted similar to the Red Heart yarns. Has anyone else noticed that Hobby Lobby's Baby Bee yarns are not labeled correctly? I used most of 2 skeins, 226 yards each, on size 8 needles. The white is some Utopia acrylic yarn that was left over from another project.

I think this one would probably fit about 9-12 months, maybe even to 18 months. It measures 11 inches across the chest when flat, so 22 inches circumference and 14 inches neck to hem.

I added fold back ribbed cuffs and did an I-cord bind off around the edges. I cheated on the shoulder seams and crocheted them together with the white yarn. I haven't decided on buttons yet. I need to go dig through my button boxes and see what I might have.

Yes, I have more than one box of buttons, shoe box size actually.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Joan said...

That is so pretty. I think most yarns are labeled wrong. I mostly go by a swatch. For instance, Brown Sheep Nature Spun worsted I work as a dk and the Lion Brand yarns are way off on their labels. I'm making an Adult Surprise right now verrrry slowly until my shoulder heals and I'm back up to speed. They are such neat sweaters to make.

4:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice additions to the BSJ!
I have 3 of 9 left at home and am homeschooling the last one.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Deby said...

Love your blog. Your knitting is great. Very beautiful sweater and the hat is awesome too!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

You are all so kind! Thank you!

9:46 PM  
Blogger N. Maria said...

Wow! You are so talented. It's very, very nice.

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home