Denise's NeedleWorks
Name:
Location: Ames, Iowa, United States

I am wife to Jeff, homeschool mom to 8, a knit and crochet teacher and totally addicted to knitting, crocheting and other fiber arts. After knitting, crocheting and sewing my own clothing from the age of 10 on, I studied textiles & clothing in college. That lead me to 25 years of custom dressmaking and alterations work, while sewing, knitting and crocheting for my growing children. I have worked in the yarn industry for the past 3 years and have been designing my own knitting patterns. Visit my web site at http://www.denisesneedleworks.com Find me as DeniseInIowa on Ravelry.com

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Some finished mittens, some not so finished

I have been experimenting with lots of mitten patterns lately. These navy mittens are made of one strand of worsted weight yarn on size 10.5 needles. I used the Gifted pattern. Then I felted them. Now they are nice and thick to keep a small child's hands warm!

I have another pair started with 2 strands of the navy wool and size 10 needles in the same pattern. I probably won't felt those. They are pretty tightly knitted.

Next I decided to try a sideways mitten pattern that was posted to the Knit Baby Surprise yahoo group. Sorry I can't share the pattern with you. The gauge was supposed to be 4-4.5 sts/in with size 5 needles. I tried one strand of Nature Spun worsted first...nope, too small. I was getting 6 sts/inch! Then I tried 2 strands with the size 5 needles...no, that was too tightly knitted to be a comfortable mitten...5 sts/inch. I was getting closer. So I changed to size 8 needles and 2 strands and low and behold...4.5sts/inch...a sideways mitten.

Here it is before and after folding. I still need to sew it together. I am thinking about trying to crochet it all around the edges. I think that would look nice.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm... we could use those over there. It's really windy and rainy.

The rain feels like ice pellets!

7:40 PM  
Blogger -J said...

I like the mittens a lot! I may have to break down, heh, and make some for my daughter.

Do you have any glove patterns? My son would very much like some winter gloves and I'd like to make them for him... he's nine and I just don't think he'd wear mittens...

8:51 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Thanks for the comments!

I haven't tried any of the glove patterns but I have been seeing lots of them in books and magazines lately.

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home