Denise's NeedleWorks
Name:
Location: Ames, Iowa, United States

I am wife to Jeff, homeschool mom to 8, a knit and crochet teacher and totally addicted to knitting, crocheting and other fiber arts. After knitting, crocheting and sewing my own clothing from the age of 10 on, I studied textiles & clothing in college. That lead me to 25 years of custom dressmaking and alterations work, while sewing, knitting and crocheting for my growing children. I have worked in the yarn industry for the past 3 years and have been designing my own knitting patterns. Visit my web site at http://www.denisesneedleworks.com Find me as DeniseInIowa on Ravelry.com

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The first of many mittens, I hope

I was given a large batch of navy wool yarn by a member of our church last week. We have a prayer shawl knitting group that she was thinking might be able to use it.

I got to thinking of all the international children who's parents are students at the university here, many of which are from warm climates. They come to our church for English classes, dinners and to worship with us. Mittens to keep small hands warm came to mind and what better than wool to do that?

This is the first pair that I have been working on. I am using Kate Gilbert's Gifted pattern as a guide but my yarn is worsted weight instead of bulky. I would like to felt these slightly to make them warmer. I am hoping that they will fit someone's small hands. I may try a different pattern for the next pair. I would like to try using 2 strands of the worsted.

2 Comments:

Blogger Indigo said...

I have made Gifted using 2 strands of worsted. Just tweaked the pattern. Need to make new ones for Ryne. I will be using Peace Fleece's pattern for the next pair because I want to try mittens on DPNs.

I have a question for you.

Do you know if EZ wrote any sweater patterns with a V neck? While dh likes the look of the seamless hybrid, he doesn't like "tight" necks. So I am trying to come up with a different neck. I may wing a split or a notch neck for him. But...

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... these look great. I will need to find this pattern. I want a pair myself!

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home