Denise's NeedleWorks
Name:
Location: Ames, Iowa, United States

I am wife to Jeff, homeschool mom to 8, a knit and crochet teacher and totally addicted to knitting, crocheting and other fiber arts. After knitting, crocheting and sewing my own clothing from the age of 10 on, I studied textiles & clothing in college. That lead me to 25 years of custom dressmaking and alterations work, while sewing, knitting and crocheting for my growing children. I have worked in the yarn industry for the past 3 years and have been designing my own knitting patterns. Visit my web site at http://www.denisesneedleworks.com Find me as DeniseInIowa on Ravelry.com

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Oddities

I have been doing some fun little projects for gifts. These are some of the washcloths. I noticed something very unusual when I was making the third one.

The peach one and the first green one are knit using the DW washcloth pattern with the 38 stitches it suggests. I really like the pattern that it makes with a verigated yarn like this. The horizontal bars break up the blocks of color nicely.

But, I wanted a bigger cloth for a face cloth. So, using the same skein of yarn I cast on 46 stitches for the next one. I was extremely suprised at how the colors pooled! It looks so different than the others.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kelley said...

What an amazing difference those 8 extra stitches made! I love how the last one came out. (And they're all lovely.)

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing difference!

Sometimes with variegated yarn... I feel like Im wasting it.. just b/c of all of the different ways ti could come out.. I dont want my least favorite... I want the neatest design possible.

Makes me want to buy several more skeins than neccesary to make whatever it is.. to make sure that Im getting the best result possible.

Great job BTW! I've visited your blog a few times since you put this post up... hopefully my comment will post this time around.. ;o)

10:49 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

I like the effect of the pooling as well. Which yarn did you use? It is amazing what gauge, needle size and number of stitches can do to the outcome of the design.

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are really neat!! I love how those two illustrate the different ways the color can pool.

Very nice job!

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home