Denise's NeedleWorks
Name:
Location: Ames, Iowa, United States

I am wife to Jeff, homeschool mom to 8, a knit and crochet teacher and totally addicted to knitting, crocheting and other fiber arts. After knitting, crocheting and sewing my own clothing from the age of 10 on, I studied textiles & clothing in college. That lead me to 25 years of custom dressmaking and alterations work, while sewing, knitting and crocheting for my growing children. I have worked in the yarn industry for the past 3 years and have been designing my own knitting patterns. Visit my web site at http://www.denisesneedleworks.com Find me as DeniseInIowa on Ravelry.com

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Sewing class quilt

I just had to show you what my homeschool sewing class is working on. I have 2 groups of homeschool kids. The Tuesday group has about 14 kids 5th to 11th grades. The Thursday group has about 8 kids 5th to 7th grades. They are great kids!

We had them embroider the letters of the alphabet on some pastel fabric blocks. Then I trimmed them and added sashing to each block. We found a cute alphabet fabric with pastel letters to match.

The kids quilted around the letter blocks through the batting and backing this week. Now I am attaching the blocks to each other (Lap Quilting style) as I get the finished ones.

The quilt will go to Birthright here in town. The kids are very excited about having helped with this quilt.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool! I'm glad that the kids are able to contribute to such a good cause.

Kris

10:22 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

It must be fun teaching kids to sew that want to learn. I remember taking sewing in school. I love the quilt you are doing and it is going to a neat place. Keep up the good work.

Janet

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home