Denise's NeedleWorks
Name:
Location: Ames, Iowa, United States

I am wife to Jeff, homeschool mom to 8, a knit and crochet teacher and totally addicted to knitting, crocheting and other fiber arts. After knitting, crocheting and sewing my own clothing from the age of 10 on, I studied textiles & clothing in college. That lead me to 25 years of custom dressmaking and alterations work, while sewing, knitting and crocheting for my growing children. I have worked in the yarn industry for the past 3 years and have been designing my own knitting patterns. Visit my web site at http://www.denisesneedleworks.com Find me as DeniseInIowa on Ravelry.com

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Caps for charity

I got this pattern from the Knit-a-Cap web page. A friend told me about the thank you letters that came from kindergartners after her mother's death. Her mother had made several caps while she was ill. This organization provides handknit caps for the Kindergarteners on Indian Reservations to help prevent ear infections.

The striped hat was made according to the pattern. Size 10 needles, worsted weight acrylic yarn, 56 stitches. Knowing what winter is like here in Iowa this hat didn't seem very heavy to me. It is not what I put on my kid's heads when it gets cold and blustery! So for the next one I tried using 2 strands of Caron Simply Soft yarn with the same numbers of stitches. Much nicer!

I am not sure if I will get enough of these made to be worth sending them to Knit-a-cap or if I will take them down to the church for the children of the international students who are studying at the university here.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home