Denise's NeedleWorks
Location: Ames, Iowa, United States

I am wife to Jeff, homeschool mom to 8, a knit and crochet teacher and totally addicted to knitting, crocheting and other fiber arts. After knitting, crocheting and sewing my own clothing from the age of 10 on, I studied textiles & clothing in college. That lead me to 25 years of custom dressmaking and alterations work, while sewing, knitting and crocheting for my growing children. I have worked in the yarn industry for the past 3 years and have been designing my own knitting patterns. Visit my web site at Find me as DeniseInIowa on

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Feather and Fan border for Pinwheel Blanket

Several people have asked me how I did the border on this blanket so I thought it might be helpful to post it here.

The only thing you need to add this border is to have the right number of stitches. I was thinking wrong at first. I counted the k2tog six times and the yo, k1 six times and thought I needed a multiple of 12--oops! You have to have a multiple of 18. I did a row of yo, k2
and then a plain row of knit first to make an eyelet row for a ribbon or string. Then it can be used as a bag later or it can just be decorative. After this round I didn't do any more increases.

Round 1: I started at the beginning of the round with (k2tog) six times, (yo, k1) six times
Round 2: purl
Round 3: knit
Round 4: knit

Repeat these rounds twice or as desired ending with a round 1 then purl a round, knit a round, purl a round and bind off loosely in knit. I used a needle 2 sizes larger for this.

I did find that when you come around to the beginning you have to start the next round 1 with k2tog three times instead of 6.

I hope that helps. Let me know if anything is still unclear. I love to help people with their knitting!

Labels: , , ,


Blogger mary_kaymom3 said...

I'm using the Feather and Fan Border on my Pinwheel balnket I really like it.
I'm having problems getting the beginng and end of the round right so that the Pattern carrys round and matches at the beginning and end.
I started with 378 sts when I started the yo knit 2sts around do you have any suggests?

9:26 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

The first round I did the yo,k2tog 6 times but I did find that when you come around to the beginning for the next pattern row you have to start that round 1 with yo, k2tog three times instead of 6. The other 3 will be at the end of that round.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Mardy said...

Thank you for your tips on the blanket and providing the stitches for the border. I just finished mine. I'll send you some pics and post on Ravelry. I think I should have done the lace pattern 3 times instead of 2 but it still looks very pretty.

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home