Denise's NeedleWorks
Name:
Location: Ames, Iowa, United States

I am wife to Jeff, homeschool mom to 8, a knit and crochet teacher and totally addicted to knitting, crocheting and other fiber arts. After knitting, crocheting and sewing my own clothing from the age of 10 on, I studied textiles & clothing in college. That lead me to 25 years of custom dressmaking and alterations work, while sewing, knitting and crocheting for my growing children. I have worked in the yarn industry for the past 3 years and have been designing my own knitting patterns. Visit my web site at http://www.denisesneedleworks.com Find me as DeniseInIowa on Ravelry.com

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Pi Shawl preparations

I joined the yahoo group Elizabeth's Year which is knitting along through the projects in Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac. We are starting with the Pi shawl, a beautiful circular shawl knit from the center out.

I was going to try to do a Bugs In My Garden Pi with another group but decided that I was just not quite up to all that lace and counting right now. I needed something simpler. I think this project will be perfect. I am going to make a very simple Pi without lace for the most part I think, though that is subject to change at whim.

It will also be perfect for the yarn that I already have. Knitpicks laceweight. I have 3 hanks that are each 880 yards. I dyed one of the hanks with Easter egg dyes that were leftover from the holiday back in April. Aren't they pretty?

My plan right now is to start with the white for the center of the shawl and when I near the outside I will used the dyed yarn. I am pretty sure that I have more than enough yarn but I am not sure quite when to start the colors. I will just have to see where whim and whimsy take me.

I have about 13 inches of the Silky Wool tank knit and will soon be to the underarms so I am hoping to get it finished before we go on vacation in July. Then I will start this Pi Shawl so I can knit on it during the times that I am not driving on our trip. I imagine that it will not be the only project that I will take along though. There are more hats to knit and the kids need mittens too. Then there is always a sock or two that I could take along. DH has already asked how much yarn is going along! Between my daughters and I it could be half the baggage!

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Carol & Christine said...

As Christmas is on our heels, shawls have been on my mind as well. I'm thinking a basic feather and fan ... and perhaps, (because it has crossed my mind) the Pi Shawl as well. Im not sure my experience or my time are up for the challenge... but one never knows until one tried... right?

Love the colors you choose to dye with. Together they will make an amazing project.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Hello Denise, I am also part of the Elizabeth's Year group. Will the yarn you have dyed with the Easter Egg dyes be colourfast? I have never tried dyeing yarn.
I do like your idea of starting with white in the centre and adding the colours later. That really should look gorgeous.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Well I would hope the colors would be colorfast. They always are when the kids spill them on themselves! This is the first time I have used them for dyeing too. I also recently tried kool aid dyeing too. Really fun and easy to do both! I will probably do more of it.

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home