Denise's NeedleWorks
Name:
Location: Ames, Iowa, United States

I am wife to Jeff, homeschool mom to 8, a knit and crochet teacher and totally addicted to knitting, crocheting and other fiber arts. After knitting, crocheting and sewing my own clothing from the age of 10 on, I studied textiles & clothing in college. That lead me to 25 years of custom dressmaking and alterations work, while sewing, knitting and crocheting for my growing children. I have worked in the yarn industry for the past 3 years and have been designing my own knitting patterns. Visit my web site at http://www.denisesneedleworks.com Find me as DeniseInIowa on Ravelry.com

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Rauma Sweater and Hat

I have the task of making a sample for Arnhild's Knitting Studio for the TNNA show in June. This is my sweater kit for one of the new patterns from Rauma Designs of Norway. Pattern #2090RVF and 19 skeins of Vamsegarn and Finullgarn for the size medium. It is quite the pile of yarn!

This cabled cardigan uses 2 strands of yarn which change colors to make subtle horizontal stripes. The blue is Rauma Vamsegarn, a worsted weight yarn. This color will stay the same throughout. The 3 brown shades are Rauma Finullgarn, a fine weight yarn. The two yarns knit together are making a beautiful heathered knit.

The pattern calls for 5mm and 7mm needles. Unfortunately, US needle sizes don't include a 7mm. US10.5 is a 6.5mm and US11 is 8mm. I tried the 6.5mm to make a simple stockinette swatch but that seemed too tight. I did some with the 8mm but I was still not sure about the gauge so I started on the hat first. It is knitting up very quickly on size US11(8mm) needles. It will be a fun chunky hat.

There are cables all around the hat. Can you see them in this close-up? Click on the picture for a larger view. You might be able to see where I changed the browns too.

I had to show off my new yarn helper too. Arnhild's brother-in-law makes these. The balls spin easily without rolling all over the floor now! I can't tell you how many things I have tried for keeping my yarn handy. This is a wonderful solution! I am sure if you contact Arnhild she can let you know how to get one too!

Details
Pattern: Rauma 2090RF
Yarn: Rauma Vamsegarn and Rauma Finullgarn, 2 strands throughout
Needles: So far I am using size US8(5mm) and US11(8mm)

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Carol & Christine said...

I want the yarn and the yarn buddy. I cant wait for us to be back on our feet financially. Will be nice to order some goodies!!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Pretty sweater!

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home