Denise's NeedleWorks
Name:
Location: Ames, Iowa, United States

I am wife to Jeff, homeschool mom to 8, a knit and crochet teacher and totally addicted to knitting, crocheting and other fiber arts. After knitting, crocheting and sewing my own clothing from the age of 10 on, I studied textiles & clothing in college. That lead me to 25 years of custom dressmaking and alterations work, while sewing, knitting and crocheting for my growing children. I have worked in the yarn industry for the past 3 years and have been designing my own knitting patterns. Visit my web site at http://www.denisesneedleworks.com Find me as DeniseInIowa on Ravelry.com

Saturday, October 21, 2006

A Moment of Silence

For my rendition of the Streaker's Shrug..... (Interweave Knits, Spring 06).

The only picture I have of it is when it was only a little thing. I knit and knit and knit some more. It went on vacation with us. I knit some more....It grew and grew until.... when I tried it on before starting the cuffs.....it had grown to mamouth proportions! Now I am not a tiny person at 5'10", but this was really too much.

Imagine...the ribbing hanging halfway down my thighs...the sleeves to my fingertips....and that was before adding 6" lace cuffs on each sleeve!



No way, no how was it going to fit.

I punished it by putting it in a bag and tossing it in the corner. That was a couple of months ago at least. I pulled the needle out the other day because I needed it for another project. Today I decided it was time.......

I started pulling it apart. It was knit with 2 strands of yarn so I got out the ball winder to wind one and started hand winding the other strand. Then DH was sitting there watching and I got him involved....20 minutes later we were still at it. Our 4yo came by to see what we were doing and he started helping pull it apart....then our 9yo was drafted to turn the crank on the ball winder. It took well over an hour from start to finish.

I still really like this pattern and the yarn combination that I was using was just what I wanted. Better do more swatching though and check the finished measurements again!!

Denise

2 Comments:

Blogger brandilion said...

sorry to hear that. it is always a sad day in a knitters world when they have to frog something like that. better luck next time.

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sad, but so funny that it turned out soooo huge. I'm (hopefully) laughing *with* you :)

Blessings!
Lindsey in AL (NMSL)

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home