Denise's NeedleWorks
Name:
Location: Ames, Iowa, United States

I am wife to Jeff, homeschool mom to 8, a knit and crochet teacher and totally addicted to knitting, crocheting and other fiber arts. After knitting, crocheting and sewing my own clothing from the age of 10 on, I studied textiles & clothing in college. That lead me to 25 years of custom dressmaking and alterations work, while sewing, knitting and crocheting for my growing children. I have worked in the yarn industry for the past 3 years and have been designing my own knitting patterns. Visit my web site at http://www.denisesneedleworks.com Find me as DeniseInIowa on Ravelry.com

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Rainbow Tie-dye sock

Here is my really long hank of kool-aid dyed yarn. It was about 10 feel or so. We put it over 2 chairs in the dining room so it could be wound up for knitting. Carl helped me wind it into a smaller hank on my niddy noddy. He kept saying it looked like a rainbow so we have dubbed it the Rainbow tie-dye yarn.

Then we put it over the backs of 2 chairs and wound it into a ball. Carl loves this part--he does the winding. Usually he is pretty good about going slowly and stopping when I need to straighten out the yarn but sometimes he gets in a hurry! He loved watching the ball spin around with all those pretty colors.

See his hands? He was patting the ball into shape after squashing it. Ahem....

I started a plain vanilla sock with it...well I guess it is a Rainbow Tie-dye sock. I am almost to the heel turn. The stripes are looking great! We are going to have to try this again!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome sock yarn! The sock looks wonderful.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Carol & Christine said...

Looks Awesome!!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

The socks look great Denise. I wish I had some little ones to do projects like this with. Can't wait to see the socks finished.

11:15 AM  
Blogger JakkiMitch said...

I like the colors and the way they look knitted up in the sock!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Becky G said...

The sock is looking great.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Sande Francis said...

These are wonderful socks! I love using KA to dye with. Have you tried Wilton's icing colors yet? You have to add citric acid or vinegar, but the colors are not compound (so they dont split as badly) and they are much cheaper and more concentrated then KA.

Purple in KA or EE dyes is problematic in that the blue and red split. You have to keep them at a higher temp for longer to make sure all the dye strikes. It's just harder to use in a rainbow dyeing project.

sandeleh@sbcglobal.net

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home