Denise's NeedleWorks
Name:
Location: Ames, Iowa, United States

I am wife to Jeff, homeschool mom to 8, a knit and crochet teacher and totally addicted to knitting, crocheting and other fiber arts. After knitting, crocheting and sewing my own clothing from the age of 10 on, I studied textiles & clothing in college. That lead me to 25 years of custom dressmaking and alterations work, while sewing, knitting and crocheting for my growing children. I have worked in the yarn industry for the past 3 years and have been designing my own knitting patterns. Visit my web site at http://www.denisesneedleworks.com Find me as DeniseInIowa on Ravelry.com

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Tie-dye Sock Yarn

The kids and I made some fun sock yarn today! I was gifted with some sock yarn that I could dye a few months ago. Thanks Von!

I had the 3 youngest helping this afternoon. First we made the hank into a ball with the help of my ball winder. Then I had Amy, Rosie and Carl sit as far apart as they could in the living room. They each held up an arm and I stood in the middle wrapping the yarn from one to the next. We ended up with a hank that was about 10 feet long.

It went into the sink for a long soak while we chose colors. I had picked up some Mixade from Aldi and had some Kool-aid in the cupboard. They keep eliminating colors! What is with all the invisible Kool-aid these days? Yeah, I know it doesn't stain the kids clothes but what are we going to dye yarn with in the kitchen?

After the soak I carefully laid the hank of yarn in a glass pan, weaving back and forth from one end to the other. I was trying to get as long section of each color as I could.

We had chosen Berry punch which was blue, lemon-lime, and tropical punch. I started pouring the blue on and realized that I had greatly underestimated how much dye I should have mixed. I quickly mixed up some grape to finish it off. It still wasn't as much dye as it could have been but we decided to go with it and see how it turned out.

After cooking it in the microwave, I took it out to rinse. There was no extra dye at all! Carl said it looked like it was tie-dyed so here you have our tie-dyed yarn hanging up to dry.

I like all of the colors except the grape. It is more brown than purple but I think when it is knit it will be fine. Now I have to find a way to get this big hank wound back into a ball. Should be fun to knit into some socks!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

It sounds like your kids and you had a great time playing with the colors. I really want to try dying some time....but that is another story :)

Great job!

10:21 AM  
Blogger JakkiMitch said...

Ooh, what fun! I just ordered some natural wool yarn so I can try Kool Aid dye. Look forward to seeing what your Kool Aid yarn knits into!

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home